Thursday, April 3, 2008

Memories, Tamiya

I don't know about most of you, but I still remember the days when I was madly addicted to my Tamiya car. For those who aren't familiar with this car (I assume most of them are girls), during my much younger days it was the 'in' thing for guys! its a car where we can modify to race with other.




I remember those days where I would save up every little cent I have to buy the latest kit for my car to let it go faster, hug curves better, look better and all the works. I tell you every guy was so crazy about it, we even have our very own tool box! Yah! just like the construction workers! And we are darn proud of it!


Tamiya car 'unmodiffied'


And i tell you, those days, those modification parts are so expensive! It ranges from around RM10-RM30 for some ridiculously small parts which barely cost 50 cents to fabricate! Talk about cheating kids like me! But I still buy them.


Hyper dash 2. During my time, Hyper Dash 1 was the in thing. Without it, your car isn't worthy to compete. Mine has it! I recall paying RM24 for it, surprisingly

Those days, my partner whom I race with was Justin. We were always competing (even up to now la). Normally we would go race our cars on Sunday evenings because every Sunday afternoon, his dad would bring us go swimming. And the only race track in town was in Plaza Ampang City! Yup at the ground floor.

Race track in Ampang City

Notice that on the track, there is this bridge where it links the inner and the outer lane? Well, this is the tricky part. Cars normally fly off here. If your car is too fast without the proper rollers, it'll definitely fly off here and also at the corners.


Modified tamiya cars


There was this one time where I was sitting at the corner of the track. I saw this kid putting his car in, as it turns, it flips and its wheel came off. For 'experienced' tamiya-ers, we know that we have to put bearings before we fit the wheels. Anyway, his bearing flew off (I spotted it was an expensive one) and it landed in front of me. He came searching for it.

Being a naughty kid, I pretended to look for it and then I said I didnt know where was it. He continued searching and finally gave up. Lol so when he wasn't looking, I secretly took it and used it on my car (terrible I tell you).

Check out some of the modified cars








Another basic modification is to replace the original rubber wheels to sponge wheels. Why do change it? Well, the rubber wheels are heavy and have lots of friction whereas the sponge one is very much lighter. I dont remember how I thought of it, but I wanted to cut the sponge wheel into half the width to further improve the performance. Which means, even lighter!

Justin offered to do it for me in the car on the way to the swimming pool. Using a blade, he cut it. But, somehow he accidentally cut his finger. It was quite deep. Blood was oozing out. Remember that we were very young at that time. I dont remember how old exactly. Oliver, if you roughly remember when u started playing, it should be the same as mine also. When ah? Things we do as kids are just so.. weird

I remember my car's model. It was Dyna Storm or something. It was dark blue. Sadly, I must have thrown it away.. I cant seem to find it anywhere. Well, those days are now gone, now im still doing modifications.. on my real car. But things are now in terms of hundreds.. Kids will just be kids

26 comments:

Oliver said...

oh i remember primary school....my first car was the proto emperor (was purple color) followed by the i think it was either call great/grand emperor (white)well the second was faster than the first and was able to stand all the nonsense i did.

Tell u my first exploded to pieces...

However both rested in peace while i still havin 3 more now still wit me intact just no batt being preserved for memories......

Kevanphua said...

Haha proto emperor-> grand emperor. Model upgrade ka? I had alot la come to think of it. I got a red one too. Forgot the name.

U also modified ur car alot? where did u play last time?

hmm.. Suddenly i have the urge to play them again.

Oliver said...

no both are different models....

grand emperor is the upgrade from emperor.

Proto emperor is the rival of emperor.....u should remember the old tamiya cartoon dash yonkuro or somethin it's in youtube......

i don modify cause no where to race and the racing event is like once a blue moon so by the time racing both cars like i said exploded due to experiments.....which included installin firecrackers (c can simulate a NoS), through water, etc etc

stupid cartoon make me think it can be done....

Justin said...

Huargh... Turbo Dash the best lah. Lol. And I can't remember mine. It was Black something... something to do with a snake or something. Hahaha. Such a long time ago. And what silly mistakes we made, spending all those money on... miserable excuses of cars. Anyway, now not much better either. Spending money on bigger cars. Hahaha.

Kevanphua said...

How come turbo Dash sounds familliar.. is the RM40 one ah? And if memory serves me, its blue and black is it?

Lol now it seems like a mistake spending on those. But i think when we're 50, we'd be looking back thinking it was silly spending our hard-earned cash modifying our rides.

But probably when we're at that age, we'd be spending on our rides too. Our wheel chairs. ha ha ha.

Looks like our generation are the only ones playing this tamiya la.

Kevanphua said...

Eh oli u betul betul put Fireworks NOS ka?? wah.. its like its ass is on fire. Haha

luckily u didnt put those fireworks that launch up to the sky and explode on your car..

Oliver said...

eh kevan those fireworks la u wen u light up it shoots to sky that i attached i tried slowly after i fix 5 of them launchers the tire hancur............

How la i kno it won't work....things we do as kids.....haiz....

Justin said...

Ya, the things we did. But not as bad as Kevan the thief. Wakakaka.

Oliver said...

now repeating the same thing on the real deal...........ecu la, spoiler la, just wonder whether i'll try adding a NoS to my car.........

Kevanphua said...

Eh what thief la. Where got so bad. Bearing only mah..

About the ecu, that's justin. Donno how much he'll spend on his car. I think 1k plus la.

Oliver, try finding a large rocket firework and put on ur car. Road runner style haha

Oliver said...

u 1 my car explode is it..................crazy la......

Justin said...

So, even if stealing sweets is not a thief lah? Like that actress who stole from convenience store (I wonder why on earth did she need to do it.). Anyway, you sure carburetor engine to ECU ah? Sure got wan. And I didn't change ECU. Only resetted it.

And by the way, I haven't spent 1k yet lah. Sigh... but future dunno lah. Still dreaming of having nice rims. You seen the MME rims? 7 spoke was so beautiful. And I think my heavy rims having some plus points. Now the car can roll on free gear very well. Saves some petrol. Lol.

Oliver said...

oh most of the time i free gear only......but still no difference in savin petrol...wat i got to do to reduce petrol.....

Kevanphua said...

Eh justin, I think u are gonna be like one of those guys d. Spending their salary on their car haha! I think im gonna stop modifying my car. Or maybe the next thing ill get is the brake pads and strut bars. which would cost around.. 200?

Eh free gear saves petrol la. Or maybe it just work psychologically only la. Or i think maybe it saves 10-30 cents. But still better than nothing. Eh oli, come la we go add strut bars together. Justin also come ( u still need to buy the other strut bar)

Justin said...

Strut bars are only around 120 bucks or so. Not that expensive. Pads also cost around 130-170 for the front depending on brand and quality. I think for us, 120-150 should do it already.

And free gear DOES save petrol IF it is a constant driving style. Thats part of the reason why Manual has less FC than Auto. Of course, other reasons apply. So next time going down a slope or something, free gear.

And I don't need another strut bar. One enough already. Lol.

Oliver said...

not sure la want to take out money at this moment got other commitments but my main concern is i can't go more than 80 la nowadays. Now sometimes wen 80 the speedometer fluctuates and starts simply moving left and right. Also 90 alredy pushing the car to it's limits

What la to do to get my car to go in 100.....

Kevanphua said...

Eh justin, to have the maximum effect, y not add another 40 bucks for the other strut. Just add abit more and u can get the best out of ur struts.

And oli, I really think ur car needs to go for alignment la. Maybe try aligning again. And another thing is , when was the last time u checked the air pressure in ur tyres?

Justin said...

What 40 bucks? Which another strut get for 40 bucks? Put where that extra strut bar? At back need to cut hole in floor of boot. Front lower arm got disadvantages wan. Bottom one also not much difference. And all new one atleast 130 bucks leh. You got contacts can get for 40?

Oliver said...

air pressure just monday only wen fill up alignment don tell me one do again not even one mth i did it la....

i really have no idea what to do to make my car more than 100. 90 alredy like struggling

Kevanphua said...

Justin, I mean the one wherer u join the rear wheels together. Its very short only. I saw in brothers, it cost about 40 bucks. havent included installation la.

Eh oli, when u told the mechanic this problem, what did the fella say?

Justin said...

Maybe your chassis not as rigid. Or is it a power issue? Maybe engine needs overhaul. I have no idea la. Need to drive your car to have a clue. Wah, I'm talking as though I'm a pro already. Lol.

Kevanphua said...

haha justin, one day the 3 of us go sit in his car and take it for a spin la. How about it?

Oliver said...

all i got was tat they say old car not more than 90....tat was it not sure la exactly wat nobody want give me proper explanation just telling old car

maybe u drive more easier show la i also don where or what to find for....want go test drive can tell wen then can go i let u people drive cos i drive i don know alredy wat to check....

Oliver said...

lookin through this comment from tamiya car masuk to real cars....

BlurChu? said...

HAHAHA!~

Tamiya cars... reminds me of those days lah. Spending cash we barely have.

Mine was a Grand Emperor 01... and i had a Hyper-Dash motor, with little modification.


BC?

Justin said...

Come la. We go one day. Ask Oliver to drive to football. Lol. Or one day when I come to church. Just to eksyen a bit. I drove till 140 before. Hahaha. Still stable. But heart pumping already so didn't dare push. Heard people reach 180 with stock NEO before.